Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Brainiac

Hello all,

I tried real hard to zip my trap and not talk about my project this week because God knows I don't shut up most days. So, feast your eyes on my textual description.

First of all, I want to activate your fusiform gyrus (which I found is the specific, specific part of the brain that recognizes faces).



Do you know who that is?

Nope, because it's my Uncle Doug, who lives in Minot, North Dakota. For those of you that have forgotten, I am "Frog In Glass Boy." I was wrestling with which part of the brain to use, but it ended up being the Hippocampus. Mainly, it's because I have really strong memories as a kid being at the lake and seeing all the frogs. One weekend for this assignment, stood out.

It was a "MAN WEEKEND" of sorts. My brothers and I went with my Uncle Doug to the lake. We bought fruits and juices that we had never consumed at the grocery store, drove to the lake, fished, shot guns, watched action movies, ate KFC... man stuff. Since we did things that have just stuck with me (obviously strongly making these connections in my brain) I thought it would be a great opportunity to do something.

I really liked what Abbi said about being able to hold and look at smaller art. Using this as my baseboard, I wanted to recreate the weekend with my uncle in a small art form. You have to understand, this is really "BFA" for me.



The juice carton represents the new juice we tried.
The tissue paper represents the unpacking of the new BB gun targets we got to unwrap.
The frosting in the cup represents the Redi-Whip we sprayed in our mouths (it was a man's weekend, we did as we pleased).
The Grapefruit represents the Papaya we tried. I didn't like it, and I don't like Grapefruit.
But most of all, the frog leg. That frog leg I made represents the one that my brother blew off a pale frog.

It's awful, I know, but he thought it was all right since it was the frog's fault for jumping onto the staging area for Targets.

So yeah... that's my brain-inspired "frog in glass" --


oOh, and it did involve every sense: I brought a can of shaving cream to recreate a redi-whip spray type sound...so from the fusiform gyrus, to the hippocampus...to the occipital and parietal lobe... my Uncle Doug did a good job on instilling that memory to make me use all those brain parts for this project.

BENJAMIN

No comments:

Post a Comment